Tuesday, January 24, 2012

On Documentation


So I have new found enthusiasm (I hope) to restart my blog. I have floundered over the recent months. When I began my first blog, it was to document our journey to China to get Helen more than 5 years ago and I kept at it (mostly) faithfully for 3 years, encompassing also our trip to Vietnam to adopt Daisy. Two years ago, I had that blog printed into a book and started this blog to mark a change in our status. A family that had finally been made whole and complete.

But in the ensuing years that now included 2 small children, my life at home became busy, erratic and, let's face it, normal. I began to post to the blog less and less and wonder who in the world would want to read about missing teeth, another year's Halloween costumes, and yet another trip to the zoo. This is not meant to
diminish the significance of my adoring fans (are you there mom?), but I basically lost my motivation.

I have felt very bad about it though. I love the blog book I have. Reading the stories of our days overseas and the comments of all the readers brings me to tears. every. time. It is a documentation of our lives, however small. It is a recorded memory. It is our history. It is us.

My grandmother. My daughter. My parent's home. Christmas 2011.
How's that for irreplaceable documentation?

1 comment:

  1. Jenny I know when you think there’s nobody out there reading it there’s times you say why! We keep up our blog as a scrapbook of sorts. And like you guys every few years we print it out as a book. We keep it for when Lily is older and is ready to read it. But just so you know – more than just you mom are looking forward to updates!

    ReplyDelete